Discussions

SpaxOrion SpaxOrion posted August 8, 2017, 19:00
Opensim: Is it wrong to impose rules on your region?

When you visit someone's house in real life, you would be expected to follow the owner's rules. Obviously, if you crashed the party, trashed the place or caused some other form of disturbance, you would never be invited to return. Further, you could face criminal charges. Here in Opensim we have people who vehemently take offense at landowners who make rules in order to comply with the LAWS of their country or simply because they want to keep their simulation operating with a theme. Is it wrong to place rules on your land and if so, WHY IS IT WRONG?

My understanding of Opensimulator is as follows: Opensimulator SOFTWARE is FREE & open sourced. I have used open sourced software for many years and I rely on it for 90% of my work-flow. Under a separate alias in real life I contribute to open source in many ways, mostly in the area of providing support but I have also been instrumental in software releases.

So... the software is FREE as in Freedom. Doesn't that mean I am FREE to use the software in a way that I feel is ethically or socially acceptable? I did not see anything in the Opensimulator license that says "YOU MUST HAVE ALL OF YOUR REGIONS FREELY OPEN TO EVERYONE" ... "YOU MAY NOT USE SECURITY ORBS FOR PRIVACY" ... "ANYTHING YOU CREATE WITH THE SOFTWARE MUST ALSO BE GIVEN AWAY FREE"... Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but I really need someone to show me where this is documented because I cannot find anything to that effect anywhere online.

The term OPEN in OPENsimulator refers to the SOURCE CODE... You can SEE the code, you can CHANGE IT and because of the BSD license Opensimulator uses, you are not obligated to make your code changes visible to the next person. There is nothing in the BSD license prohibiting you from SELLING your changes to the code. IT DOES NOT GIVE YOU DIRECTIVES ON HOW YOU MUST USE THE SOFTWARE.

OPENSIM IS FREE - SERVERS & RESOURCES ARE NOT - GRID OPERATORS AND CONTENT CREATORS NEED YOUR SUPPORT.

Replies

justin 3 months ago
I totally concur Spax. I think the main problem is one of expectations and perspective. Many of us come from SecondLife and we all remember all too well teh restrictive nature of the SL grid. In comparison OpenSim seems like the the wild west, and place for freedom loving libertarians. In some ways it is, but in others it is not.

As you say the simulator software is free, but how we use it for our projects, grids and themes is not.

Like all communities we have our share of die-hards, the extremists who insist everything should be free. Then those who want to make OpenSim a clone of SL as in commercial grids. Then there are those like me who have a more balanced approach who don't mind having commercial (pay for) content available in OpenSim along side all t ... (more)